This annual shorts program celebrates the directorial work of Academy Award winners, cinema pioneers, actresses turned directors, animators, documentarians and the brightest stars emerging from film schools and the film festival circuits. Films include:
- Maya Deren’s “Meshes of the Afternoon” (USA, 14 min.) Shot in Silver Lake, and one of the landmark films by the preeminent voice of avant-garde cinema in the 1940s and ’50s.
- Eileen O’Meara’s “Panic Attack” (USA, 3 min.) Hand-drawn animated short that looks into the anxiety and obsession many can relate to.
- L.A. Premiere! Christina Beck’s “Hooker #2” (USA, 9 min) Aged out, broke and desperate, 40-something former child actor Grace Johnston gets the role of her life.
- L.A. Premiere! Elnura Osmonalieva’s “Seide” (Kyrgyzstan, 14 min) Set in a breathtaking, forbidding landscape, this is the saga of a young woman and her horse.
- L.A. Premiere! Amy Nicholson’s “Pickle” (USA, 16 min) Sweet, funny and heartwarming documentary ode to the sometimes bizarre and beautiful connection between man and animals.
- Alexis O. Korycinski’s “Bambina” (USA, 9 min.) An isolated expatriate experiences psychosis and depression after giving birth.
- Ellie Wen’s “Single Mother, Only Daughter” (USA, 9 min) A documentary capturing a conversation between mother and daughter that brings them closer.
- Alicja Jasina’s “Once Upon a Line” (USA, 7 min) A man leads a drab life, until one day...
- Uttera Singh’s “Fanny Pack” (USA, 10 min) An Indian-American father and daughter have differing views on life, with comedic results.
Series compiled by Andrew P. Crane, Kim Adelman and Andrea Richards.